- Excellent "Boosted" Odds
- Loads of bonuses and promotions for existing customers
- 50+ Years in the business
- Online winnings can be withdrawn as cash
- Support available 24/7
- High chance of your account being limited
- Poor “In Play” odds
- Bland looking website
Latest Betfred Welcome bonus May 2023All bonuses
- Register & Deposit - Use Promo Code “WELCOME40”
- Place a bet - £10+ on any sport
- Get your bonus - £40 of bonuses added within 10 hours of your qualifying bet settlement
New 18+ UK customers only. Register using the promo code WELCOME40, deposit and place first bet of £10+ on Sports (cumulative Evens+) within 7 days of registration. First bet must be on Sports. £30 in Free Bets and £10 in Free Spins (50x20p) credited within 10 hours of bet settlement. Free Bet stakes are not included in any returns. Bonuses have a 7-day expiry. Payment restrictions apply. SMS verification and/or Proof of I.D and address may be required. Full T&Cs apply.
Opinions 0All reviews
Complaints 0All complaints
Review of the bookmaker Betfred from Legalbet
BetFred was founded in 1967 by Fred and Pete Done. By 2004 it had an annual turnover of £3.5Bn and has continued to grow at an incredible rate, by 2019 total amounts wagered came in at £13.5bn. As of July 2017, Betfred operates over 1,650 shops throughout the United Kingdom, as well as shops at fifty-one racecourses around the country.
Betfred has made a name for themselves by occasionally playing out before the results were certain, the first time was in March 1998 when it paid out bets that Man U would win the Premier League only for Arsenal to pip United by one point. They have subsequently done it many times with no loss but Betfred also paid out early on Manchester United to win the 2011/12 title, only for Man City to beat them on goal difference.
Odds - Average
We calculated the margin for Betfred by analyzing the odds they offer. We further ranked them in one of the following three categories:
From 1% to 5%: Good value
Over 5% to 7%: Average value
Over 7% to 10%: Poor value
We got our results by taking into account the odds for final result outcomes measured in line with the over / under for different football leagues. Getting the average results using this method, we were able to obtain the margins for each league and the overall betting margin for the bookmaker.
Betfred has an overall average margin of 5.33% for football and falls in the normal category. In the first section with Premier League the margin is at 3.89%. The second section with Spanish La Liga and Italian Serie A the margin is at 5.44%. Finally, taking the rest of the world's leagues into account, the margin is at 6.66%.
Range of Sports and Markets - Good
Range of Sports: Betfred covers 23 different sports from all around the world, as well as having a “Virtual” betting section too. The sports categories they list are: American Football, Baseball, Basketball, Boxing, Cricket, Cycling, Darts, Esports, Football, Gaelic Sports, Golf, Greyhounds, Horse Racing, Hurling, Ice Hockey, Motor Sports, Politics, Rugby League, Rugby Union, Snooker, Specials, Tennis, UFC / MMA.
Range of Bets and Markets: Most bookmakers focus on football first, but at Betfred, it is Horse Racing where they have the most attention to detail and the largest number of betting options available. Fred Done (co-founder of the Betfred company) was the person who invented the lucky 15, which revolutionised the standard accumulator model. This coupled with the fact that Betfred is currently the sole operator of pools betting on British horse racing make Betfred the go-to location for Horse Race betting connoisseurs. They are far ahead of the competition in terms of offering bets such as “Yanke”, the “Canadian” and the “Heinz”.
They cover all UK meetings as well as most from the Rest of the World, especially big meeting Ante-Post. At the UK meetings, you can bet Early Price, as well as Starting Price and they, were one of the first bookmakers to offer “Best odds guaranteed”.
Football is the second focus of Betfred and all UK leagues are well catered for, with tournaments also priced up in the early rounds and U21 and Women’s matches also included. A typical Premier League game would have over 150 bet options to chose from, and lower division games slightly fewer but still more than enough.
Betting Limits: BetFred is a proper bookmaker who takes an opinion and stands by it. You can get very large bets on most lines without eyebrows being raised.
In-Play Betting - Good
Betfred has a pretty decent selection of sports available for live betting, with in-play markets for sports such as football, cricket, ice hockey, tennis, and basketball. However, a gap in its live betting offering is the lack of horse racing coverage (but this is pretty common due to the fast paced nature of a horse race).
The range of markets in-play is way above average, not just allowing bets on who will win but more niche, quick-fire events such as in tennis will the next game go to Deuce, or in Snooker will the next frame have a 100+ score, etc, etc. The odds here are less than the odds Betfred offers pre-match, but they are still very competitive.
They have some TV coverage of sports that you can watch, and from within the in-play section there is a handy tab to show what can be currently watched right now as well as what is upcoming.
They have most sports but remember that they will be restricted by licencing rights as to exactly how many and which games and matches they can show. Customers are required to be logged in to their Betfred account and have a cash balance of £0.01 in order to access the live streams.
Betfred Mobile App
Betfred offers a very smart sports betting app, which has already been downloaded by many of their loyal customers. The app is free and is available for all Android and iOS customers via Google Play or the App Store.
How To Register At Betfred
Registering at Betfred is quick and easy. To begin click on the green “register” button located on the homepage. There are a total of five screens to go through but each step is explained to you what is required, and it should not take more than five minutes from start to finish.
- The first page asks you to pick a username. This must be unique (so nobody else can have already taken it) and also be a combination of letters and at least one number. You also enter your password here, this must be a minimum of eight characters and also include at least one letter and one number. Do not forget to tick the box confirming that you are over 18 years of age and that you agree to the various T&C’s. Then click “Continue”.
- The second page asks for a few personal details. You simply tell them your name and which title you would like to be addressed by. You also put your date of birth. All information given here must match what is inside your photographic ID (usually your passport).
- The third screen is when you provide a few contact details. Enter your Email address and a contact telephone number (mobile or landline). You can also choose a security question and answer, remember this as it will be needed if you ever have to contact the customer support.
- The penultimate screen will require you to provide your address, which must be the address registered to the bank account that you deposit with. You can simply enter your postcode and then choose from the drop down list. If your address does not appear then there is the option to add it manually.
- On the final screen confirm the currency that you wish to use, there is the option of £s or Euros! Select how you want to be contacted about their promotions and offers, and KEY POINT - Enter a Promo code if you have one. (Sometimes this will be filled in for you, but if it has not been and you want to take part in the welcome bonus then this is where you need to add the relevant code.
- Finally, click “Register” and your account is now created for you.
How To Deposit At Betfred
When it comes to depositing at Betfred this is also made easy for you. The first thing to do is log into your account, and from there click on the green deposit button in the top right of the screen.
- The first thing that you will have to do is decide which deposit method you wish to use. Click on the “Deposit” button next to the one you want to choose.
- In this example we are going to use a debit card. You have to enter all the card information as requested and at the end say how much you want to deposit. Click on deposit and that should be that.
- As long as everything was entered correctly then you will get a confirmation pop up message and the funds will be in your account to use straight away.
- Note that in future once you have used a payment method you do not need to add all the details every time. They are saved in the Betfred system and next time you simply have to enter the CVC code and the amount.
How To Bet At Betfred
Placing a bet at Betfred is easy to do, and no matter what it is that you want to bet on the steps which you follow will always be pretty much the same.
- Firstly navigate to the sport that you will be betting on. You can do so by one of the quick links if you have previously starred it as a favourite, but if not clicking on “All Sports” will bring up the complete list in alphabetical order for you to find what you want.
- In this example we have clicked on “Football”, inside this section you will initially be shown all the main games currently “in-play” and as well as that all the latest offers and price boosts relevant to this sport scroll along the top.
- If you are not betting in-play though and are looking for a regular match then clicking on the “competitions” tab will bring up a break down of every tournament and league which Betfred is offering odds for.
- We have selected to bet on the EFL Cup and chosen the match Newcastle vs Southampton. Note that this page brings you some helpful statistics with the teams current form and the option to view the predicted line ups. It also confirms exactly when the same will be taking place. On this page you can scroll down to view all their different betting options but we are simply going to bet on Newcastle to win. Anytime you see a bet you want to place you can do this by clicking on the odds availble.
- Once you have clicked on the odds a new betslip will open on the right of the screen and it confirms what it is you are betting on. Here you just enter your desired stake in the box, the estimated returns will be automatically calculated for you to see. If you are happy with everything click on “Place bet”.
- This will lead to a confirmation message that the bet has been successful. You can click continue to carry on betting or log out now if you wish. If you do not get this message then there is a good chance your bet was not placed, check in the “my bets” area and consider contacting the customer support for further assistance.
How To Withdraw At Betfred
In order to withdraw from any bookmaker you will need to be logged in and have a withdrawable balance. As a rule that is a balance not under any bonus constraints and that has been wagered at least 1x since being deposited. You will then have to, in the first instance, withdraw back to the payment method which you used to deposit with.
So at Betfred what you need to do is:
- In the top right of the screen you will see your available balance. If you click on this a drop down box will appear and on this list of account options you will see a tab to “Withdraw”. Click on this.
- You will be taken to a screen showing your account details and your “Cash Balance”, this is how much you can withdraw at the moment. Underneath this you have a range of withdrawal methods, choose the one that you want to use (note that the original deposit amount MUST go back to how you deposited).
- After clicking on the debit card option you will see the card details that you last used to deposit automatically in place. You are reminded that there is a £5 minimum deposit amount at Betfred, but we are withdrawing £8.68 in this example so that does not matter.
- After clicking on “Withdraw” you are shown a confirmation message that everything has gone OK, and you now simply wait for your money. Betfred advise that the funds will appear in your account within 5 working days, and when we did it the withdrawal time was less than 5 minutes.
Licensing & Safety
Betfred are licensed by the UK Gambling Commission, their license number is 39544. At the time of writing there had been one regulatory action in recent years. On the 8th December2022 they were fined £2,873,750 for a number of failures to comply with anti-money laundering regulations.
Service & Customer Support
Email - [email protected]
Phone - 0800 028 7747 (8am - 8pm)
Live Chat - 24/7
Twitter - twitter.com/betfred
When we opened live chat we found we were 2nd in the queue and whilst it is a little annoying not to be spoken to straight away being able to count down approximately how long it will be before it is your turn was good. It took just over seven minutes for us to get through to an agent, and it was a real person straight away. You have to answer some basic security questions before they will help you, but once that is done it took just a further minute to get an answer to our question.Overall Score 7/10
Betfred Casino Review
Betfred have a casino section on their website, which can be accessed by clicking the ‘casino’ tab on the Betfred homepage. As well as the most popular casino games you would expect to see, such as Blackjack and Roulette, there is also a huge range of slots games, too, with new games added frequently. There are also several different casino promotions available.
The Betfred live casino is regulated by the UK Gambling Commission and the Gibraltar Gambling Commissioner, who ensure the highest standards of practice are adhered to. The site is encrypted with the latest SSL technologies, so any information you share is kept secure.
The games in the Betfred live casino are operated with real-time croupiers, who interact with you by dealing the cards and talking you through your game, in a good attempt to recreate the fun of an in-person, land-based casino.
As well as the main games of Roulette, Blackjack, Baccarat and Hold’Em, there are also exciting new versions of Age of the Gods Roulette. In addition to this, there are fun game show type games such as Money Drop, Deal or No Deal and Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? with live presenters.
More Information About Bookmaker
Founded in: 1967
Owners: Betfred Group Ltd
Sponsors: Rugby League Super League, Ascort Racecourse, World Matchplay Darts.
Registered Office: 5.2 Waterport Place, 2 Europort Avenue, Gibraltar GX11 1AA, Gibraltar.
Licence number: 39544
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 0800 028 7747
Information about the company
Gambling Commission of Great Britain
Questions and answers
In a word, yes. Betfred is as safe as gambling with any online betting site can be. Nowhere is 100% safe, but Betfred is very close to it.
Betfred has a large number of payment methods available, see our article abov for details. At Legalbet we would recommend that you use either a Debit card or Skrill if you can.
Yes, Betfred has a new customer offer, details are in the article above. The welcome offer can change at any time though so check what the Betfair site itself is telling you is the same as you have read here.
Yes, Betfred offers a large number of Free bets to existing users, usually as part of a “bet and get” promotion, and also as the reward for “refund if” offers.
Betfred processes withdrawals within 48 hours, but usually the same day.
Yes, Betfred offer live streaming for sports such as tennis and basketball.
To use Free bets at Betfred open a betslip as normal, and enter your desired stake amount as normal, but now before you submit there will be a small box that says “Promo cash”, by ticking this box the stake amount will come from your free bet balance rather than your real balance.
Yes you can cash out the majority (but not all) of your bets at Betfred if you wish. To do so open the bet in your “my bets” area and under each eligible bet you will see the current amount which you can redeem that bet for. Click on it to accept that amount of money, and it is instantly added to your balance.
Betfred customer support can be contacted via Twitter (@BetfredHelp), Email ([email protected]), Phone (0800 028 7747) and 24/7 via their Live Chat feature on their website.
It is not possible to cancel a bet as a rule at Betfred. If there is some special extenuating circumstances then you can always contact customer support and ask, but they are under no obligation to do it for you.